Taste the Rainbow...Maybe Not. My Journey to Becoming a Blonde


I was 9 years old the first time I wanted to dye my hair. I’m not 100% sure why. Maybe because my Mum and Auntie would religiously dye theirs and I would watch as they transformed their locks into a variety of colours or because my favourite girl band at the time was Spice Girls. Don’t laugh, you loved them too, we all did. And they all had crazy, colourful hair.

When I was 12, much to my Mum’s disapproval, my Dad agreed to let me have highlights. I opted for the brightest red I could find. My hairdresser practically sobbed as she coated my naturally long, thick brunette hair in bleach. I loved it.

I was noticed immediately wherever I walked and being the shy kid I was (shocking news to anyone that knows me today) I wasn’t too much for the attention. Years later, much to both of my parents disapproval, I found better, brighter colours to experiment with.


My camera was a potato and I am apparently catching flies. 

Fast forward a lot of bleach and years onto my life. I became obsessed with the thought of being blonde. Of course, I was at uni, had dyed my hair red for as long as I could remember by this point, my hair was naturally almost black and as a Uni student; I simply couldn’t afford to go blonde.


I make a fiery red head.

To comfort my inner desire to become a luscious blonde, I became obsessed with the concept of split dye. Originally I dyed my hair beige and had a white fringe but I wanted to be bright and noticeable, weirdly to recapture that feeling of being 12 years old and having all eyes on me as I walked through the school gates with unnaturally red hair, despite previously hating that feeling.

Meeting Jamie

I started going out with Jamie in January 2014 and like myself, he has a fetish for blonde highlights. He figured out pretty quickly that I knew what I was doing when it came to hair dye and caring for long locks and so he employed me to dye his dark brunette hair blonde. This made me long for blonde hair soooo much more. Sadface.


His reaction was priceless and he earned the nickname ‘Spaghetti head’ for quite a while after.

Half way through that year, I graduated from Uni and was employed into my first 9-5 job. 

This was it. Almost 2015 and the moment I was determined to be a blonde! 

The Process.

Take a dark haired Gillie.



Apply some bleach…



I personally hate bleach because it makes me feel like I’m setting my hair on fire. If you leave it on long enough, the results would pretty much be the same.

I opt for the maximum lift 40% Bblonde by Jerome Russell. I leave it on for no more that 50 minutes and that’s only when I have extremely dark or red hair. 

It is recommended that you leave your hair for a couple of days to rest from bleaching before you put a hair dye on the top. I never do. You probably should but I go the most horrendous form of ginger (from natural elements in my hair, another reason I probably shouldn’t go blonde) and pretty much have to dye it or die from humiliation.

Employ a boyfriend/someone that will dye your hair…
Leave to rest. I managed two days.


We’re getting there

Hit up your hairdresser.


My hair was, and still is slightly, brassy. Going to the hairdressers and getting blonde highlights is one of the best ways to get your hair blonder and have it cut which promotes healthy hair growth.


Abuse this stuff like your life depends on it.

For the first few washes, I couldn’t really tell a difference. I persevered as my synthetically blonde hairdresser told me to and then I started noticing. The brassy undertones had started to become the golden blonde colour I had dyed it and my hair started to even out with the highlights becoming lighter. I also experimented with how long to leave the products on. I found it most effective to leave the shampoo on for around 5-6 minutes and the conditioner between 3 and 5. 

Also, it smells sooooo good. I will continue to use this product for as long as I am blonde.

I have to go again in a few weeks to get a root touch up and another set of highlights (60 pounds though, le cry) and then my hair should be the blonde bombshell that I have always desired.

Going blonde is excruciatingly slow when you do it properly. So worth it though.

Little hints and tips

My best friend and hair guru, Danielle, swears by hair oils. In my younger hair experimentation days, I never bothered as I used semi-permanent dyes a lot of the time. (Pretty much because I was broke too). 

V05 Hot Oil treatment


V05 have a variety of oils for different hair types. 

They replenish your hair and leave it feeling like you’ve just been to the hairdressers, promoting healthy growth and preventing breakages and damage associated with bleaching and dying.

Argan Oil - AKA Liquid Gold

I love name alone. “I rejuvenated and replenished my dull hair with liquid gold…” Amazing.


Photo Credit: mybeautyjournal.co.uk

Argan Oil, AKA liquid gold, is an organic product extracted from the kernels of the argan tree, a native of Morocco. It is rich in nutrients including fatty acids and vitamin E which is why it makes great hair and skin products. 

It has the ability to tame the frizz and give hair shine as well as protect from split ends and damage that could be caused by frequent bleaching and dying. The best method of application is to add several drops to freshly washed hair after blow drying.


Danielle and myself with freshly dyed hayurr.

Have you got a hair story or favourite hair care product to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment