Why being vain is not a bad thing


As I uploaded my last blog post, my Mum saw it and (I presume jokingly) called me vain because I openly blog about myself.



It made me retrospect about my emotions over the last week. I've let my hair, nails and eyebrows go weeks over their taming dates and as a result I've felt awful about myself. Let's not even talk about the crap I've been eating.

Going to a salon, taking 'selfies', lifestyle blogging (apparently), tracking weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle have often been misconstrued as Vanity.

Just over a year ago, I didn't wear make-up, I didn't blog, I didn't get my hair, nails and eyebrows done and I didn't maintain my health, weight or appearance at all. 

Doing all of these things isn't vain. But if it is then being vain is a good thing.

Being vain has brought out the best version of me. 

I earn my money and like to spend it. I have always wanted to be blonde, I love acrylic nails because I have sausage fingers and they feel awesome, I love to buy, flaunt and wear dresses/skirts, I love talking about my job and degree, I love feeling healthier and being able to achieve new things through weight loss (i.e. I can cycle up a hill!), I love having real shape and colour to my eyebrows and blogging mixed with all of the above has made me a super-confident woman.

Without all of these things, I would still be the shell of a woman I was, in a sheer depression not able to stand up for myself.

Vanity loves you

I like to show off my achievements and purchases because I earned them. I spent three years studying for a degree whilst going through major personal issues and still came out on top. I like to show off my purchases because I work 40 hours a week to buy those things. 

I recently wrote a post for Zusterschap about battling body issues. I have insecurities and visible flaws but I've learnt not to care. I mean, yeah I feel rotten when I don't get my hair and nails done but it doesn't stop me rocking the fuck out of a hype tee. Being vain and getting all these things done to my body makes me feel amazing but at the end of the day, loving myself (in a vain way or not) is what truly makes me happy. I do all of these things for me, nobody else. I like to look good for myself and be like "Dayum girl, nails are flawlessssssss." 

As I stated before; No two girls, regardless of how similar they are, can wear an article of clothing the same way. I used to hate myself and hide beneath t-shirts and hoodies, but now I embrace what I am and feel god damned good about it.

As much as I can get dressed up and everything plucked, waxed, painted and bleached, I can also roll out of bed into whatever is lying on my floor and go to work. 

Vanity motivates me

This post may contain a lot of contradictions like, how can you love yourself and want to change the way you look?

I do love myself. I have a big booty, boobs and large hips. But I'm not fond of my stomach. Jamie's bathroom features a mirror opposite his bath tub and so when you get out of the bath tub, you can't do anything but look at your naked butt.

I am totally comfortable in my body. I walk around barely clothed when possible because it feels good, although I know I would be happier if my stomach was more toned. The fact that I'm 'vain' over my naked body motivates me to shed the pounds and get the stomach that I want. 

Vanity brings people together

I am by no means a fashionista but blogging about my fashions, beauty and lifestyle has brought me into an ever-growing community of bloggers. Particularly on Twitter.

People in my actual life tend to check in on my blog too. I used to be really embarrassed by that but now I really like the fact that they were drawn in to click on it. In life people know me as something with no filter, an open book, I actually have no secrets. 

Because these people (btw, hey guys) check in on my blog, sometimes they want to talk about it. A lovely lady from my local corner shop found my blog from my Instagram account and asked me if I could dress her for a date and give her make-up advice. Of course I loved to help and she felt like a million dollars going on her first date in over a decade. 

I've also receive messages and comments off people when I write about issues such as the ones addressed in the Zusterschap article. If you feel a certain way then it's pretty much guaranteed that someone else does. Talk about it, brag about it, cry about it because new friendships and positive emotions can be formed. 

Vanity brings people together.

Vanity doesn't mean it's all about you

Vanity doesn't mean that you live in a little bubble, constantly staring in the mirror unaware that there are starving people in the world, war, animal cruelty, global warming, missing persons, etc. Worrying about the way you look and act is a exercising awareness and self awareness whilst thinking about the impacts on the world surrounding you. You influence and are influenced by the world around you because you are in tune with the world and thus paying attention. 

Unless you're self absorbed, then you totally need to re-evaluate and check out for a while. 

Vanity feels good

Personally, getting my hair, nails, eyebrows done and buying a new dress unwinds me after a busy week attempting to understand the world of finance. 

If you need to check out of the world and take care of yourself for a while, do it. 

You cannot be the best version of yourself and live your life to the fullest without being selfish and giving in to your own needs and desires. 

I kind of rambled in this post and I'm not actually sure if I made any sense at all but basically, if you take care of the way you look and act then it's totally not a bad thing.

Next time someone calls you vain, thank them, blow your own trumpet as loud as you want to because if you don't then who will?


No comments:

Post a Comment