A Shortlist of The Greatest 80's Movies of All Time


I've started to dislike Social Media lately. Being available 24/7 doesn't mean that I am actually available 24/7 and sometimes I need a little alone time, not someone shouting at me because I didn't answer their Facebook message although if we weren't connected online , I wouldn't even have any form of friendship with that person.

Sometimes I look at my phone and think, I can't be bothered. I can't be bothered with meaningless conversations with people that lead to awkwardness when I next see them because I actually don't have that much in common with them and I can't ask the question "Hey, how are you?" because I already know. They messaged me about it, tweeted about it, Snapchatted about it, Instagrammed about it and even wrote multiple statuses about it. I'm not excited about meeting up with people because I feel like I'm with them all the time.

I've thought about deleting the likes of Facebook but it has it's uses. I can send free messages when I need to and my group of actual friends can get in touch with me, tag me in photos, keep me up to date with plans for nights out and it's easier to have group conversations than via text.

I am addicted to social media. I update it and check it every day but this makes me think about a time in which it didn't exist. Until the age of 15 I didn't even have a phone and even when I did I shared it with my older brother. At the age of 22 I have only just got myself a contract phone.

Growing up, if I wanted someone, I had to go and get them. I rang them and had the awkward conversation of "Hey <insert friend's name here> Mum, is he/she home?" and had to develop the nicest phone voice ever because anyone with kind of parental status/power/control scared the living shit out of me. It does to this day. 

At the start of my social media career I had the likes of MSN and it wasn't a particularly pleasant experience because I was severely bullied through it. When I got Facebook, I couldn't even tell my parents because of the past experiences we'd all been through. I blogged about that more here.

Thinking all of these thoughts and watching one of those 'Best Movies of <Insert Era Here> shows with Jamie this weekend led me to create my own list of 80's movies that I have seen and loved and could watch all day every day. The best part, friendships that aren't formed on or around any form of Social Media. It's refreshing to see people not dependent on small slabs of plastic for communication. 

I've cut the list to my top 25 with my favourite 5 leading the list. The rest are in no particular order.

1. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Skipping school in the best way ever. His creativity is something I desire.

"Pardon my French, but Cameron is so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up his ass, in two weeks you'd have a diamond."

2. Heathers
Cult. Classic. Dear Diary on a whole new level.

"Dear Diary: My teen angst bullshit now has a body count."

3. Pretty in Pink
The prom dress sucks but the rest of the fashion is amazing. Also, Molly Ringwald, Jon Cryer and a young James Spader, One of the most quotable movies of all time and we are all secretly routing for Duckie and Andie to get together.

Duckie: "I'm off like a dirty shirt."

"You're a bitch, you ought to see a doctor. That condition could get a lot worse."

4. The Breakfast Club
Five outcasts from different stereotypes end up in detention together and end up having a lot more in common than expected.

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all."

5. Splash
She's a mermaid. He doesn't know. 80's special effects are way cool. 

6. Fast Times at Ridgemont High
7. Dirty Dancing 
8. Three Men and a Baby
9. Footloose
10. The Lost Boys
11. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
12. Who Framed Roger Rabbit
13. When Harry Met Sally
14. Ghostbusters
15. The Karate Kid
16. Weird Science
17. The 'Burbs
18. Beverly Hills Cop
19. Poltergeist 
20. Big
21. Back to the Future

22. Beetlejuice 
"Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice"

21. Fame
22. The Goonies 
23. The Terminator 
24. Flashdance
25. Desperately Seeking Susan 




What are your favourite 80's films?


 photo 471954422251009040715_zpskwzpoqxp.png

No comments:

Post a Comment