Caramel Slice Recipe


When I get stressed, I bake. I'm stressed a lot of the time, so I bake a lot. Although, this recipe doesn't really constitute to baking but I got to beat up a packet of biscuits, so I'm pretty de-stressed. 

To this date, these are my proudest achievement. I even made my own caramel, which I heard was super hard so I'm going to relish in my accomplishment.

They don't look the best but they taste pretty good. My mistake was using large amounts of ingredients compact into a small china pot and being frozen for over 12 hours in the fridge when mine and Jamie's half 9 nap turned into a deep sleep in which we awoke temporarily at 4am before returning to bed until mid-morning.

THE INGREDIENTS 

All About That Base 

200g of plain digestive biscuits (I used chocolate ones and they still taste pretty good.)

100g of butter (unsalted is the better option but I was lazy and just used what we had.)

Caramel Sutra

125g of the same butter.

400ml of tinned sweetened condensed milk.

90g of caster sugar.

3 tablespoons of maple syrup/golden syrup.

On Top

250g of chocolate (dark or milk are the best but you can use whatever you fancy.)

2 teaspoons of oil.

The Method Behind the Madness


1. Lightly Grease a 20 x 30cm rectangular shallow tin (or scram to find your flat mates china dish like I did) and preferably buy some grease-proof paper (leave the sides hanging over the edge.) I buttered the dish which still worked pretty well.

2. Crush/smash/beat up/take out all your anger on your digestive biscuits in a mixing bowl (a rolling pin end does amazing work) until it's obliterated into fine pieces. 

3. Melt the first portion of butter and pour into the bowl of former biscuits. Mix it until it looks like it's a decent base that you manipulate into desired base shape. Pour/throw into the tin and press firmly, lining the tin with a smooth surface. 

4. Put aside the tin and start on the caramel. In a decent sized pan, combine your second portion of butter (not yet melted), condensed milk, caster sugar and maple syrup/golden syrup. Stir or whisk over a low heat for approximately fifteen minutes until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thick, smooth and lightly coloured (a caramel colour, heh, heh). Removed from heat and leave to cool, still stir the mixture so it's easier to pour over the base. Pour over the biscuit base and place in a fridge for about 30 minutes or until satisfied that the mixture has started to firm.

5. Whilst the mixture is chilling, place your chopped up chocolate into a bowl over a saucepan of simmering-to-boiling water. Once it's melted, pour over the half made caramel slice. Leave to cool and place it back in the fridge until the chocolate is solid again. 

6. Cut, Instagram (I can't be the only one?) and enjoy! 

I can't claim that I made up this recipe because it's probably been around longer than I have and I'm not that kind of person. I slightly altered the bbcgoodfood recipe featured here. A great team and a great website to get recipes from!

What recipes have you tried lately? Have you made a different version of Caramel Slices? Link me Below! 



 photo 533520737063518120715_zps9uwv1vbb.png 

No comments:

Post a Comment