DIY Rainbow Highlighter


Okay, I'm like a month late to the bandwagon but it's here! I actually made this product like 2 weeks ago but life happened and my job happened and I'm currently going through that phase where I didn't blog for 6 months but continued to write down ideas, so have a note book full of post ideas that I want to upload all at once so I end up publishing nothing.

Anyway, I present to you...DIY Rainbow Highlighter! 

Before we start, credit where credit is due, the original highlighter was created by BitterLaceBeauty and it's so effin' beautiful. Although I want to own and love it forever one day, I decided to challenge myself to create a dupe version with stuff I already owned.


Credit: teenvogue.com

I can't say that I made this up. I was inspired to create this by BeautyByJosieK who was inspired by BitterLaceBeauty. You can watch her video linked below.


YOU WILL NEED:

1. Lots of tubs/pots/something to mix the product in. Also, a spoon or implement to stir it with.


How ever many colours you are using is the amount of pots you will require. 

2. Eye-shadow that you don't mind destroying.


It's not a waste though, you'll just be using it on another part of your face for a completely different reason.

3. Glitter/Powdered Highlighter (Optional).


For added shimmer in da club, I added some glitter to mine although you don't have to.

4. Old blusher/ Case to store the product in.



This was pretty old and needed getting rid of so I just scooped out the remaining product and cleaned the case to use it again. I didn't waste the remaining blush though. In a few steps, I'll show you how I recycled this blush.

5. Rubbing Alcohol//Vodka

It is recommended that you purchase some rubbing alcohol for this but 1) I couldn't find any. 2). I'm extremely impatient and lazy. 3). I already have a supply in my flat (not an alcoholic, I just throw quite a lot of parties.) And I did say that I was creating this dupe with stuff I already owned. I don't own an abundance of rubbing alcohol. Actually, I don't own any. 


I just used this. Once the product is dry, you can no longer smell or feel the alcohol so it's good enough for a dupe product. 

STEPS

1. Scoop out the eye-shadow colours you want and scrape out the blusher case into the pots/tubs. Clean it so you can transfer product as you are going along. As to not waste the blusher, I used it with my golden colour eye-shadow.



2. Add a SUPER SMALL amount of vodka to each and stir it until it has formed a liquid. You don't want it too runny though or it'll be harder to set and shape in the case. 

At this point. Add the optional glitter. As much or as little as you want but don't overload as it can get quite messy when the product dries.

Also, you would add a small amount of powdered highlighter if you wish to add some shimmer to it. I didn't use highlighter as I added the glitter and found that to be enough for me. 


3. Scoop each colour in a straight-ish line, piling them next to each other. Be quite patient with this as it gets quite fiddly.


It is recommended to put the colours/shades that are close to each other in the colour chart next to each other in the case. That way it doesn't matter if they overlap/blend slightly and it looks better when applied as makeup. 

4. Once in, take a kitchen paper towel and gently press over the top to soak up the excess liquid. The more liquid you used, the more patting of the paper towel you will have to do.

5. Let it dry for quite a while. I set mine down on the windowsill for around 2 days. It doesn't take that long but I wanted my product to be completely bone dry and set before I played with it.

THE FINAL PRODUCT 





This is what it looks like on my arm after a lot of application:


I used a super pigmented eye shadow so it picked up really well with the blusher brush.

Obviously, on my face, I don't want it THIS obvious.

This is the product with ONE stroke of the brush.


Much more subtle. You can see it really clearly on my arm and face. My camera did not do this justice. 

A faded rainbow with glitter that radiates when I finally go and visit the new club in town.

Some funky videos of the product. I swear it would be easier if I just started a YouTube channel.

video

video

video

Have you made any beauty dupes? Link me to yours below! 

 photo 533520737063518120715_zps9uwv1vbb.png

4 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely amazing! It's so unbelievably pretty :) Thanks for sharing, I might have to try this!!

    Holly ∣ Closingwinter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! I have phases where I want to create random stuff for the sake of it, haha! I've got nothing on the real product though. Swoooooon. It is so much fun though! Playing with glitter should be prescribed as an antidepressant, haha! <3

      Delete
  2. This post just made me SO happy, I love the rainbow highlighter trend and I have loads of rainbow eyeshadow that's just sitting around that I can use for this! Great DIY <3
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhhh thank you so much!!!! Have fun with it!! Honestly, I didn't think it would turn out as something I could use but it did and I had the best time making it :') <3 <3 <3

      Delete