Get Out...More. Bucketlist!


I am like a robot. Every weekday I roll out of bed, out of the door and to my desk. I complain about several things whilst wired up on coffee and then drag myself home, onto the couch and scroll through Social Media observing what other people are doing with their lives.

My friends, Jamie and I always say we need to do more and yet we just don't. We always find an excuse like: "Oh, there's only one car", "It might rain", "I have work so soon after" and money. We all earn different wages and all have bills/prior commitments. Not many of us actually have permanent jobs either which makes the waistband that bit tighter.

Within a short period of time I observed Glastonbury, Download, Beyonce and several holidays all through my Snapchat/Instagram all from the discomfort of my own bed and it made me feel even worse. I don't do anything. I have nothing planned. I want adventures and to stop fobbing off my friends when they offer some form of excitement.

I am a chronic sufferer of FOMO. What is FOMO you ask? Fear of Missing Out. The term was logged into the Oxford Dictionary as: "Anxiety that an interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts on social media."

To fob off my FOMO and encourage some GOMO (Going Out More Often), I have planned a summer bucket list that I will complete alone, with family and friends if it kills me.

In no particular order, here is my adventures bucket list!

1. Explore the local nature reserve

I recently started running and came across a nature reserve not far from my flat. I was only doing a short, after work, de-stress run and a man shouted so it scared me into running back home again but I am determined to explore it properly!


2. Beamish

Beamish is a museum that I visited with my school when I was a small child. I can't remember much about it but I remember that I absolutely loved it! I also really love history and museums. This particular one tells the story about life in the North East of England in the 1820's, 1900's and 1940's.

3. True Crime Museum

Again with the love for museums, I am also addicted to watching Crime Shows and am really into the details of crimes and murderers. Not in a weird way, I like to find out how people tick and why they are capable of such heinous crimes/acts. Mainly because I could never do something like that. 

I first found out about the True Crime Museum on Twitter and then on Instagram. Holly over at Closing Winter blogged about it here which made me want to go EVEN MORE. 

4. Climb a hill/mountain

It will most likely be a hill because I am that unfit. When I was a kid, I used to climb Roseberry Topping all the time with my family and I'm not sure exactly why we stopped. Jamie and I have plans to climb it in the very near future though! 

5. Camping

I love camping. I love nature and I always feel so, so good after camping.

6. Fishing

I don't really know why I want to go fishing. I love the outdoors, I love the water (just not at night because that is hella scary) and it's the perfect excuse to bond with someone or spend some quality time alone with nature. 

7. Lie under the stars

I love space! I used to work for an astronomy magazine when I was at University and I can sit and watch documenatires about the Universe and it's mysteries all day long. There is nothing more relaxing than lying back and watching the clear night sky. Nothing matters. You realise how small you are in the universe and that actually reassures me that no matter what I am currently going through, it's not as big as I think it is.

8. Build a fort

It just sounds ridiculously fun.

9. Hang out on a roof top

I obviously want some safety measures but I love watching the world go by. Puts my mind at peace. 

10. Sit on a car bonnet

Noone has ever let me and it makes me want to do it more! I am super clumsy though so guarantee that I either can't get on or fall straight back off again.

11. Go to the beach

I looooove the beach. Similar to the space thing. There's a whole world out there.

12. Have a picnic

I want to grab some mates, some cheap food in a disposable basket because we're all too lazy to carry stuff around with us and maybe a few drinks and just chill. Outdoors, friends, memories.

13. Get lost in a forest

It's like a cheeseball Twilight sequence where they run through the forest but I want to do it anyway. I suffer chronic anxiety though and fear being murdered in said forest so maybe just exploring the forest will suffice. 

14. Watch the sun rise/set

I accidentally caught a sunrise the other day and it made my mood so good for the entire day. The sun rising and setting allows me to close one chapter and open a new one.



15. Outside Cinema

It just looks fun. All that space and freedom instead of being crushed into a room, in the pitch black with strangers that need to pee every 5 minutes, making you pull some gymnastic moves that your body is not trained for or capable of doing.

16. Road Trip

I plan on getting a car this year and my actual license to drive said car. My first declaration of independence is to drive to Wales. North East England to the bottom of Wales will be a challenge but it'll be an amazing achievement and I get to see some family too! (My Dad is from the Brecon Beacons, I think this is where my outdoorsy-ness comes from.) Once I have saved up enough and got a permanent job, I would love Road Trip in America! 

17. Revisit an old hangout

Okay, I could probably skip the Asda trolley phase I went through (British teenagers...) but we used to hang out in woods, nature reserves and by a river behind my old school. It could be quite cool to go there with my current friends and embarrass myself even more than I do usually.

18. Go to a festival

I've been saying that I'll go and not going for about 5 years. I know that I would love it. I need to bite the bullet on this one.

19. Take some classes

I love learning new things and meeting new people. Bonus points that I could blog about the experience. 

*****

According to Eventbrite, I am not alone when it comes to my Fear Of Missing Out.

40% of people stated that Social Media platforms do make them feel jealous of other's social lives.

Facebook alone called out 60%, Instagram was responsible for a quarter of FOMO and unsurprisingly, Snapchat followed suit with 17%.

I plan to ditch the Social Media and really get out and have some adventures of my own. I hope that you all feel inspired by this post (as apparently my brother did as now he's going to Norway...) and if you're especially ambitious, you could host your own outing to fight FOMO using Eventbrite's event management software!

What adventures do you have planned? Do you have a bucketlist or suffer from FOMO? Comment below or find me on social media!


 photo 533520737063518120715_zps9uwv1vbb.png 

No comments:

Post a Comment